Nonprofit dedicated to the healing of trauma is seeking agile and creative Director of Strategic Communications.
The Director of Strategic Communications is responsible for planning, managing, expanding, and implementing communications and marketing strategies of SEI.
This role works directly with the Executive Director to develop a comprehensive communications program that promotes SEI, their trauma health modality and allied professions that support the use of Somatic Experiencing.
The Director of Strategic Communications will also provide collaborative oversight to elevate the SEI brand, enhance engagement, and develop existing and new revenue streams.
This position is based in Boulder, Colorado (SEI headquarters) or remotely. Periodic travel to SEI headquarters will be required.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Communications and Media Relations:
- Develop and direct both public and media relations and communications programs designed to support SEI’s outreach agenda to enhance their image, prestige and profile of SEI and their trauma healing modality to allied professions, including medical, mental health, social work, nursing, psychology, psychiatry, coaching, bodywork and others.
- Collaborate with SEI departments to ensure that programs and services receive appropriate recognition from target audiences.
- Maintain and grow relationships with media contacts who cover trauma healing, mental health, public health and other related topics.
- Schedule and participate in media interviews and respond to media requests.
- Plan and implement strategies, campaigns and events to attract media attention, including activities for SEI, the annual International Conference, National Mental Health Month, and other SEI publications.
- Alert key media to urgent trauma-informed and mental and public health-related policy and legislative activity.
- Write, edit and disseminate timely press materials, including news releases, op-eds and letters-to-the-editor.
- Direct media and public relations program for new and developing evidence-based research efforts supporting the recognition and acceptance of Somatic Experiencing.
Publications, Web and Branding:
- Oversee content development and strategy for SEI website and Web properties.
- Oversee publication, distribution and marketing of SE Today and broaden its range of formats, including blog, podcasts and other related communications tools.
- Oversee the creation, production and dissemination of other new organizational e-newsletters and related innovative products.
- Promote, maintain and ensure adoption of SEI brand platform and guidelines across all organizational units internally and externally.
Marketing, Advertising and Social Media:
- Oversee SEI’s online strategies, including integration of existing tools to achieve better engagement and development of new media initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with relevant departments on communications and marketing of all SEI products.
- Direct e-marketing activities and coordination of communications via Salesforce and related applications.
- Oversee advertising for SE Today, SEI website, SEI conferences and programs.
- Develop and lead organizational strategy for appropriate social media platforms.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO OUR COMPANY
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, public policy or related field required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience and familiarity with public relations and organizational communications and marketing are required.
- Ability to coordinate policy, advocacy and organizational initiatives and issues impacting the growth and reputation of SEI and its multidisciplinary community and be able to interpret these issues to a variety of audiences.
- Proven ability to take in new and social media and ability to maximize opportunity to share information broadly.
- Knowledge of video and podcast production techniques and their use with other interactive media.
- Experience engaging community participants, the media and the public in media activities.
- Demonstrable skills at data utilization, the use of media metrics to measure impact and media performance.
- Previous experience engaging and teaching members of key constituent groups, including board of directors, global faculty, professional staff, training assistants and coordinators, in using the best strategies to further message development and dissemination.
- Familiarity with website content management and constituent relationship management (CRM) systems, preferably Salesforce.
- Journalism/public relations, publications and marketing experience and fluency in social media.
- Strong initiative and creativity, and superior writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work with others as a team player. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as projects and events require, including weekends and travel to SEI conferences and meetings.
The successful candidate:
- Has previous experience in a health-related membership association or nonprofit.
- Has demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly.
- Can effectively prioritize, track, and complete multiple tasks and projects in an environment with continual interruptions.
WHAT OUR COMPANY IS PROVIDING
- Expected annual salary of $100k – $125k.
- Generous health benefits – medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance.
- Paid time off.
- Employer-matched retirement plan.
- Work-related travel expenses are paid.
- Annual travel budget.