Requirements to receive the Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner (SEP™) certificate
*If applying for your Provisional SEP certificate please follow the same directions but be sure to use the PSEP Cover Page*
SEP Approval Process: In order for a participant to apply for the SEP Certificate, they will need to properly assemble an SEP Approval Packet. This packet will include:
- A Completed SEP Cover Page or PSEP Cover Page form
- Session logs of all hours completed with Approved Providers including the required information listed below:
- Session Type,
- Length in Hours,
- Credit Hours,
- Approved Provider’s name and signature.
If the hours logged do not meet these requirements, they will not count toward the hour total.
When your SEP Approval Packet is complete, scan and email the packet to email@example.com. When you email your packet, title the subject line with your first and last name and “SEP Approval.” i.e. “Jordan Smith SEP Approval.” SEP Approvals can take up to 3 weeks to process. If the cover page is not filled out or the packet does not meet the specified guidelines, the processing time may be extended. If we have received a recent influx of Approval Packets, this may also extend processing times. Please keep all session logs until all your hours have been completed. We are not responsible for retaining incomplete logs. Be sure to always save a copy of your logs for yourself. We are not responsible for lost session logs.
If you are unable to obtain a signature for credit(s) documented on your Session Log, you will need to provide documented verification along with the Session Log. To submit a Session Log with documented verification in place of a signature from your provider, you must:
- Document the details of the Personal Sessions and Case Consultations as fully as possible on the available Session Log.
- In place of the signature on the Session Logs, please indicate what type of documented verification is offered. For example, please write “see email” in place of the signature for an email documented verification.
- Acceptable documented verification of hours include emails, invoices and receipts.
- Any documented verification needs to include:
- The credit provider’s first and last name
- Date credit was received
- Type of credit received (i.e Personal Session, Individual Case Consultation, etc.)
- Level of participant during receipt of credit.
Please note that email exchanges setting up a Session or Consultation are not documented verification that the Session or Consultation took place and will not be accepted. Email exchanges about a Session or Consultation that has already occurred will be accepted as verification.
To graduate from our program and receive the Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner (SEP) Certificate, you must complete 216 contact hours of training (6 to 8 training modules depending on the country). Additionally, you must receive 12 hours of Personal Sessions and 18 Credit Hours of Case Consultations from approved providers. Out of these 18 hours, a minimum of 4 credit hours must be individual and a minimum of 6 credit hours must be with Faculty.
- 3 hours of Group Case Consult time counts as 1 credit hour. See the Tuition and Support page for more information.
- All modules and associated administrative processes must be completed prior to receiving the SEP Certificate. Certificates may be withheld until such processes (incomplete payment plans or other outstanding fees, waivers, etc.) are completed.
- If you wish to transfer from a US training to a European training, different training requirements may apply. For more information, see https://somatic-experiencing-europe.org/.
1. PROVIDER LISTS
SE™ personal session providers, individual case consultation providers, and group case consultation providers are listed by approval level. Before receiving a credited session, please use these lists to ensure that the provider you are using is approved for your current level of training and the type of session or consult you wish to receive.
Lists are updated monthly and some providers may have been approved since the last update. Also, some providers who were previously approved may have been removed from our lists until they sign our new Provider Informed Consent & Release Agreement. If you worked with a provider who was previously approved and who is no longer on our list, you may wish to remind them to sign our agreement so they may continue providing credited sessions. If you have questions regarding the status of a particular provider, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All credited sessions must be received from providers approved for your current level of training. These sessions must be recorded on a session log form and will start counting for credit on the first day of your Beginning I training.
2. SESSION FEES
Session fees are set by individual approved providers. This rate applies whether a consult is given during a training or between modules at a private practice location.
Personal Session and Individual Case Consult fees are paid directly to the provider.
Policies regarding session rates are set by the SE™ International and are reviewed periodically; rates may be subject to change by SEI without prior notice. For Scholarship students, the maximum cost for a 1 hour person session is $100.
Group Case Consultation Fees
Group case consultation fees are set by the provider. For scholarship students, the maximum cost for Group Case Consultation counting towards the minimum consultation requirement is $75/Credit Hour. Since 3 hours of group consultation equals 1 Credit Hour, the fee should be assessed at $25 per actual hour spent in group consultation.
Group Consultations must be received from an approved Group Consult Provider or faculty member.
Group Consult fees are paid directly to the provider unless the consultation is organized by SEI's main office.
Policies regarding allowable rates for Group Case Consultations are set by SE International and are reviewed periodically; rates may be subject to change by the Institute without prior notice.
3. IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS
It is strongly recommended that your personal sessions and consultations are distributed throughout your training in order to receive maximum educational benefit. This will ensure that you are receiving valuable input and support as you progress through your training.
If session distribution does not match the recommended distribution above, you are still eligible for the SEP certificate as long as the 3-year total session requirements are met.
Providers must be approved for your current level: Once you begin the first day of a new level of training, all credited sessions must be received from a provider approved to give sessions and/or consults at your current level of training (e.g. starting the first day of your Intermediate I training, all sessions and consults must be received from approved Intermediate-level providers). Before booking sessions, please verify that the provider is approved for your current training level.
We encourage you to obtain sessions from a variety of providers who have been trained by different faculty members so that you may benefit from their diverse experience, education, backgrounds, and styles.
For students who completed the SE™ Training in Europe contact the European Association of SE™ (EASE) at email@example.com.
MODULE REVIEW VIDEOS
Need to review a past Beginning II – Advanced I course? We have a great library of past modules to help you review past concepts.
DEMO LIBRARY ACCESS
Browse and rent demo videos to enhance your learning in the SE Training Program.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FAQ
What if I cannot attend one of my local training modules and must miss a scheduled class?
It is always optimal to attend all SE training modules live. If you are unable to attend one of your Beginning or Intermediate training modules locally, you may attend that module in another location if there is space available and it takes place during the appropriate time period. If you cannot attend a Beginning or Intermediate module in person, you may take one of your Beginning modules by video and/or one of your Intermediate modules by video. Please note: To attend a training module in a new location, you will need to get permission from SE International prior to registration. This approval process includes:
- Contacting our office to find out if there will be space in the training you wish to transfer to.
- Verifying the number of transfers that have occurred during your 3-year program. Students may only transfer twice within the 3-year training.
- If there is space, then you will need to request and submit written permission from both your local faculty member as well as the faculty member of the class you wish to join. Faculty members' contact info can be found here. Please forward these approval emails from faculty along with your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are taking a module by video, please note:
- You can order video modules online via our Training and Event Calendar. Please use the left hand drop down menu to select ‘Video Links’. This will take you to the correct form to request taking a module by Video.
- For Beginning I by video, normal application procedures apply and applications must be submitted electronically. For Beginning I video modules, a complimentary 2-hour review session with an approved provider is included in the tuition to help prepare you for joining the live training. This must be completed 1 week before the Beginning II training. Students schedule this session with a provider themselves and should find an approved provider in our provider directory.
- For video modules other than Beginning I, you can order video modules online via our Training and Event Calendar. Please use the left hand drop down menu to select ‘Video Links’. This will take you to the correct form to request taking a module by Video.
- When the video option is taken in lieu of attending the training in person, the cost of the videos is the same as the early discounted tuition.
- Students may not take Beginning III and Intermediate I by video consecutively.
- The video option is not available for the Advanced level. Advanced I and II must be taken in person.
- CEUs are not available for video modules.
What if I have to miss a portion (hour to a day) of the class?
If you need to miss a portion of a live class, you will need to purchase the videos for that module to review the missed materials. The video cost $75 and may be ordered by calling SE International to make payment at +1 303 652-4035. Please contact our office and your local class coordinator as soon as you know that you will be missing a portion of the training so we can plan for your absence. Please note that we are unable to award partial CEs. You will only receive CE credit for that training module if you attend all hours in person.
Can I switch training locations?
We STRONGLY recommend that you stay in a single location for the Beginning and Intermediate years of your training. This helps create a cohesive class environment and supports the ability to go deeply into the class material as relational bonds are strengthened between students, training assistants, and faculty. However, if you are unable to make a local training module based on dates or other considerations, please review our FAQ entitled: “What if I cannot attend one of my local training modules and must miss a scheduled class?”
Is there a way to "fast track" through the SE training program?
We understand and appreciate that you are eager to get going on your training. However, the program is designed to support maximum integration into your existing professional practice. By allowing 2-4 months between modules you have the opportunity to practice the skills learned with your clients, patients, or students in between training modules. During this time, you will be receiving case consultations and your own nervous system will also be adapting to new self-regulatory patterns which is an important part of becoming a competent SE Practitioner. For these reasons, we do not offer the ability to “fast track” through our program.
I have not yet completed the SE training. How can I appropriately advertise my SE practice while I am still in the training?
You are welcome to advertise as an “SE™ Student” and as a longer definition you may say “I am currently a student in the Somatic Experiencing Professional Training Program, seeking to complete the educational and related requirements of the program to use the Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner credential.” Please be sure to use the registered trademark symbol after “Somatic Experiencing®” and the trademark symbol after “SE™.” You may not state that you are an “SE™ Practitioner” as that title is reserved for those who have completed the full training program including the case consults and personal sessions. You will also want to avoid language that may be misleading or over-represent your degree of training and current SE skill set.
How can I get a replacement or duplicate copy of my SEP certificate?
If you lost your SEP certificate or would like a second copy, we would be happy to send you another one. Please email Rachel Volberding with your name (as you would like it printed) and your mailing address to request a replacement copy.
I have completed the SE Professional Training and would like to review it. Is there a discount for reviewing the program?
We would love to have you review the training with us. Reviewers may re-take any training module at half price. Please note that we will give priority to new students for popular training locations before opening classes to reviewers. Please contact our office to see if we are allowing reviewers into a particular training and to make payment by phone.
Also, we offer review videos for all Beginning through Intermediate modules, available to purchase to any student that has already completed the full module training. To purchase, please visit our Trainings and Events page then select Search US, then select Video Links to purchase.
By when do I have to complete my sessions to receive the SEP certificate?
At this time, we do not have a fixed time limit for completing the session requirements once you complete your Advanced II training. Simply send us a copy of your completed session logs once you have received the required number of Personal Sessions and Case Consultations and we will award your SEP certificate.
Will I receive personal session credit for being a class demonstration participant?
No. Participants cannot receive credit toward their requirements for demos done in class. Class demos are an invaluable part of our training program and participants are encouraged to participate, but they cannot count the demo sessions toward meeting the personal session requirements.
Can I receive credit for personal sessions I received prior to starting the training?
No. Personal sessions and case consultations start counting for credit the first day of your Beginning I training. The personal sessions counting towards your SEP certificate are primarily for educational purposes. As a student in the training you will be receiving sessions with an orientation towards observing how the practitioner utilizes SE techniques.
If I have finished Beginning III and about to start Intermediate I. Am I considered a Beginning student or an Intermediate student for the purposes of receiving sessions?
Until the first day of your Intermediate I training, you are considered a Beginning-level student and sessions can be received from Beginning-level provider until that date.
How do I know if a provider is approved to give credited sessions or case consultations for my level of training?
Before receiving a session or case consultation, please verify on the Enrolled Students section of our website that the provider is approved for your current level of training either as a personal session provider or as a case consultant. Approved provider lists can be found by clicking here. Please note that some providers may believe and promote that they are approved for a particular level, when they are not approved. It is the student’s responsibility to verify that the provider is approved for the correct type and level before receiving sessions.
Where should I send my session logs?
SEP Approval Process In order for a participant to apply for the SEP Certificate, they will need to properly assemble an SEP Approval Packet. This packet will include:
- A Complete SEP Approval Packet Cover Page
- This can be found on the ‘Student Forms’ page on the website.
- Session logs, invoices, or verifiable emails from Approved Providers with required information listed below:
- Date, Level, Session Type, Length in Hours, Credit Hours, Approved Provider’s name and signature.
- If the hours logged do not meet these requirements, they will not count toward the hour total.When your SEP Approval Packet is complete, scan and email the packet to email@example.com. When you email your packet, title the subject line with your first and last name and “SEP Approval.” i.e. “Jordan Smith SEP Approval.” SEP Approvals can take up to 3 weeks to process. If the cover page is not filled out or the packet does not meet the specified guidelines, the processing time may be extended. Please keep all session logs until all of your hours have been completed. We are not responsible for retaining incomplete logs. Be sure to always save a copy of your logs for yourself. We are not responsible for lost session logs.
- Date, Level, Session Type, Length in Hours, Credit Hours, Approved Provider’s name and signature.
I'm worried I might lost my session logs. Can I send partial session logs for you to keep on file?
We do not have the capacity to store partial session logs for students, so please only send us your logs once you have completed all the training and session requirements. As you will be tracking these documents for up to 3 years, we do recommend that you make a back up copy for yourself. You might consider scanning them and emailing them to yourself, taking high-resolution photos with your phone or camera, or using an online document storage service such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
What happens if I did not get all the recommended sessions at a lower level of training?
Though it is strongly recommended that you distribute your sessions/consults throughout your training as outlined on your session log form, it is not required. If, for example, you only received 3 personal sessions during your Beginning level, you cannot “make up” a 4th session with a Beginning-level provider after you have started Intermediate I. You will now simply get an extra session from an Intermediate provider during your Intermediate year or from an Advanced provider during your Advanced year. It is important that the providers you receive your credited sessions/consults from are approved for your current level of training. To award the SEP certificate, we are looking to see that a student has met the three-year session/consult totals and that there have been some sessions and consults received each year.